Sunday, June 13, 2010

Shodo

Since we have unpacked but not everything has found a home yet the Little Guy is finding new things to try that I wouldn't normally think of giving to a 2.5 yr old!
This is a mini shodo (Japanese calligraphy) set that I got from a Scholastic order a few years back. It is rather realistic in that you have to grind the ash stick and add water to make the ink. I have things for regular shodo but this is better fitted to little hands.
Once we got everything set up and the ink made the drawing fun began! WE started out with careful attention being paid to style and procedure. After about five minutes though the writing turned into free painting.
I think this is a new favorite activity because at least twice today I was asked about doing it again. Perhaps tomorrow?

No comments: